close
close

Hot coals set the house on fire, displacing the Silver Spring family on Father’s Day

Hot coals from a grill “improperly” placed on the back deck sparked a house fire in Silver Spring, displacing a family of four and their dog on Father’s Day, according to the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service (MCFRS).

Shortly before 6 p.m. Sunday, MCFRS crews responded to a report of a fire at a two-story single-family home in the 13400 block of Coachlamp Lane in Silver Spring, MCFRS spokesman Pete Piringer wrote on social media. The house is located a few blocks from Layhill Road.

Firefighters determined the fire was started by hot coals or ash from a grill that had been “improperly” discarded on a wooden rear deck of the home, Piringer said. The coals set fire to the deck and then the siding of the house.

The fire had spread to the second floor and attic of the house before it was extinguished by firefighters, he said.

All residents of the home left the house safely and no injuries were reported, Piringer wrote.

If MoCo360 keeps you informed, connected and inspired, join us and join our community by becoming a member today. Your membership supports our community journalism and unlocks special benefits.