Names released of two police officers shot in Woodbridge, plus shooter

Woodbridge Police Officer Justin Nerney and NYPD Detective. Matthew Mauro has been released from the hospital and is recovering from a gunshot wound.

| Updated

WOODBRIDGE, NJ – New Jersey Attorney General Matt Plakin has released the names of the two police officers, a Woodbridge Police Department officer and an NYPD detective, who he said were shot Thursday during a shootout with a suspect in attempted murder in Woodbridge.

The officers are Justin Nerney of the Woodbridge Police Department and Detective Matthew Mauro of the NYPD. Both have now been released from hospital and are recovering at home.


The civilian killed during the encounter has been identified as Karl Gregory, 46, of New York, New York. He was wanted by the New York City Police Department for attempted murder in their jurisdiction (East Harlem).

According to the preliminary investigation, on Wednesday, June 12, Edison Police Department officers received information from an automated license plate reader that a vehicle was wanted in connection with a shooting in New York City that left the victim with life-threatening injuries. wounded, was in their vicinity.

Officers from Edison and Woodbridge police forces responded to the Royal Albert’s Palace hotel on King Georges Post Road in Woodbridge, where they found the unoccupied vehicle parked in the car park. Authorities have notified the New York City Police Department (NYPD).

NYPD detectives responded and informed Woodbridge police personnel of the New York criminal investigation.

After midnight, now Thursday, hotel police were conducting a civilian interrogation when, around 12:21 p.m., the hotel’s elevator doors opened and Gregory walked to the lobby carrying several bags. When he saw officers in the lobby, Gregory dropped his bags and reached into a black backpack.

Gunfire was then exchanged between Gregory and Woodbridge officers Drew Krupinski and Justin Nerney and NYPD Detective Matthew Mauro.

Gregory, as well as Woodbridge Officer Nerney and NYPD Detective Mauro, were struck during the exchange. Woodbridge PD officers immediately began providing medical aid to Gregory until the arrival of paramedics.

Gregory was later pronounced deceased at the scene. A handgun located near him was recovered and preserved. Several shell casings, fired from various weapons, were also found and will be matched to the firearms fired during the incident.

Officer Nerney and Detective Mauro each suffered a gunshot wound. Both were transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick for treatment. Detective Mauro was released Thursday and Officer Nerney was released Friday.

NJ state law requires the Attorney General’s office to investigate the death of a person that occurs during an encounter with law enforcement.

2 hospital police officers shot in NJ; Timeline of the recording

First report: Suspect shoots Woodbridge police and NYPD officer at Raritan Hotel